Social media is all about building relationships. You are connected to various communities within social media . The focus should be on how to help the individuals and the communities as a whole.Getting people to trust you is one of the biggest challenges that you will ever have in your business. It isn’t uncommon for you to have many meetings before a level of trust is established. It takes a very long time to build trust in relationships but without it, you will not get anywhere.
Once you have initially connected in face-to-face networking meetings, you should use social media to build on those relationships that you have established. To build relationships, you need to get to know people and allow them to get to know you. Keep in mind,that you need to accomplish this in a way that is not overbearing and also benefits their network and yours.
Here are a few ways you can build better relationship through social media:
- Listen, Listen, Listen : If you don’t listen, you will never be able to place yourself in the other person’s shoes. The first step to being able to do that is to really listen to what they want and need.
- Give feedback: After you have listened to the needs of the other person, you can provide him or her with valuable feedback. Communicate that you understand how he or she feels. It may be helpful if you tell a story that demonstrates a similar experience that you had.
- Pay attention to profiles: People put information in their profiles that they feel is important to them. Make the effort to really pay attention to what they have in their profiles and comment on it when you speak with the
- Be interesting: Communicate what makes you and your business special and unique. Make people want to get to know you.
- Meet-up: If one of your connections is giving a presentation at an event, try to attend the event. You could also arrange a meeting for coffee, lunch,etc to exchange ideas. He or she will appreciate you effort of you connecting in person.
- Be honest: Understand that not everyone is going to like you. Never pretend to be someone you are not just to try and fit in. Be yourself. Your sincerity will pay off and eventually you will have a solid relationship with those whom you pursue.